Knox Concert Series

Knox Concert Series

The city of Anniston, Alabama in Calhoun County provides its citizens with the opportunity to access quality musical entertainment within the city limits in the form of the Knox Concert Series. The Knox Concert series originally began in 1917 as the Anniston Chorale Club, organized by Carrie McClure Knox. Following her death in 1936, the group was renamed the Knox Music Club in her honor. In 1946, Knox Music Club president Tamae Carns led the effort to present a professional concert. With no financial backing she was able to secure pianist Stanley Fletcher who performed a Chopin concerto at the Anniston High School auditorium, then located on Leighton Avenue. The event was so successful that the next year the Knox Music Club lunched its first season with a varied lineup of musicians. In 1971 Marguerite Turner spearheaded an effort to incorporate the organization and establish a board of directors. In 1979, a cohesive auxiliary board was organized and consisted of the chairmen of major committees. In 1981 an advisory board of community leaders was organized as a liaison to the community. That year Knox began a partnership with the Donoho School to allow community service opportunities for juniors and seniors. Today, through the Knox Music Club scholarship program, over 2,000 students attend ballet and orchestra concerts and visiting artists often conduct master classes for JSU music students. Presently, over 150 individuals every season volunteer with the organization. Information regarding scheduled events and tickets can be found on their website.