Did you know that Calhoun County has a bunch of fantastic lunch specials just waiting to seduce your grumbling stomach? Join us as we take a look at a variety of dishes offered at affordable prices that you may have overlooked. If you’re seeking to have lunch out with a co-worker or friend (or need some great take-out options), these restaurants have got you covered!
Some folks may not be aware that Rosie’s Gourmet 2 Go, tucked away in Golden Springs, has daily lunch specials that feature an elevated touch of Southern soul. Their specials are served during normal business hours Monday-Friday 11am-6pm and Saturday 11-3pm. Your best bet is to hit them at lunch, as these tasty meals do sell out. They’re also available as to-go orders. Some days their main dishes or sides change out, but here’s a list of what you might expect. Visit them at 3337 Henry Rd., Anniston, AL.
- Chicken & Rice Casserole, Steamed Cabbage, Baby Lima Beans, Corn Bread
- Some Mondays: Chicken Pot Pie
- Tacos, Refried Beans, Tortilla Chips & Salsa or Taco Salad
- Some Tuesdays: Sheppard’s Pie or Chilli
- Chicken and Dressing, Squash Casserole, Sweet Potato Casserole, Green Beans, Roll OR
- Some Wednesdays: Fried Pork Chops, Mac and Cheese, Green Beans, Roll
- Roasted Pork Loin w/Mushroom Gravy over Rice Pilaf, Mashed Potatoes, Beans (Pinto or Butter), Cornbread
- Some Thursdays: Meatloaf or Hamburger Steak
- Mahi-Mahi w/Basil Butter over rice Pilaf, Sweet Potato Hash, Grilled Asparagus
Betty’s BBQ is THE lunch hot spot in Calhoun County, going strong for many years with solid daily specials that will get your mouth watering. This is another restaurant that is best visited at lunch, though their hours are M-Sat 10:30am-8pm, as they often sell out. Their specials are generally $10–a steal for sure! They are located at 401 S. Quintard Ave., Anniston, AL.
- Spaghetti & Tossed Salad
- Baked Chicken or Chicken & Dumplings
- Sides: Cabbage or Whole Kernel Corn
- Country Fried Steak or Meatloaf
- Sides: Stewed Potatoes or Broccoli & Cheese
- Chicken & Dressing
- Sides: Boiled Squash or Sweet Potato Souffle
- Pork Chops
- Sides: Squash Casserole or Cabbage
- Country Fried Steak
- Sides: Corn Nuggets or Stewed Potatoes
Hubbard’s Off Main is high on our list of places to get a great lunch any day of the week in Calhoun County. Besides their regular menu, they have lunch special discounts you can get during the hours of 11am-2pm Tuesday-Sunday. Dine with them at 16 E. Choccolocco St., Oxford, AL.
- Tuesday: $1 off Po’ Boy Sandwiches
- Wednesday: Free extra toppings on Burgers
- Thursday: 4 vegetables for the price of 3 on the Vegetable Plate
- Friday: $1 off all Fish Entrees
- Saturday: Brunch Menu
- Sunday: Buffet
Since first opening its doors in Jacksonville many years ago, Effina’s Tuscan Grille has charmed folks in Jacksonville with its elevated Italian cuisine. Fast-forward a few more years, and they opened a second location, Effina’s Downtown, in downtown Anniston. Each restaurant offers daily specials that will satisfy any diner’s palate. While they are always changing things up, we’ve included some specials you are likely to encounter, based on location.
Located at 501 Pelham Rd. N, Jacksonville, AL, Effina’s Tuscan Grille serves lunch 11am-4pm Tuesday-Friday, and they offer brunch specials on Saturdays 11am-3pm and Sundays 11am-2pm.
- ½ Sandwich w/Soup or Salad $9.50
- Homestyle Special (varies weekly):
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Hamburger Steak
- Chicken Fried Chicken
- Sides: Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
The specials offered by Effina’s Downtown, located at 919 Noble St., Anniston, AL differ slightly, and lunch hours are 11am-3pm. The following items are often featured in their lunch specials.
Regular Lunch Specials
- Philly Cheesesteak
- Italian Grilled Cheese and Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Finger Wrap
- Scallop Scampi
- Cajun Alfredo Scallops
- Homestyle Fried Pork Chops
- Braised Beef Hoagie
- Vegetarian Lasagna
- Sweet Italian Sausage
- Cream of Chicken
- French Toast
- Breakfast Croissant
- Breakfast Pizza
Chef T’s Restaurant found at 4004 US-431, Anniston, AL, offers a variety of down-home Southern-style specials daily. While their specials are always changing, we’ve included some of the main dishes and sides you can expect any given weekday. They serve lunch from 10:30am-4pm, and you can call (256) 770-4683 for details.
Main Dishes: Meatloaf, Porkchop, Salmon Patty, Beef Stew, Cube Steak, Beef Liver & Onions
Side Dishes: Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Fried Squash, Pinto Beans, Broccoli Rice Casserole, Baked Beans, Turnip Greens, Cabbage, Slaw, Okra, Potato Salad
Besides their regular menu, Rack and Roll Billiards & Sports Bar offers daily lunch specials, plus some extras on certain weekdays. With most items, you can get a Meat and 2 Sides for $8.50 or Meat and 3 Sides for $9.50. You can enjoy a delicious casual lunch and a game of pool at 917 Noble St., Anniston.
- Mississippi Pot Roast w/sides
- All Entree Salads for $7.50
- Seafood Combo for $11.99 (includes fish and shrimp)
- Mama’s Meatloaf
- Chicken Parmesan
- Hamburger Steak
- Cabbage Rolls
- Fried Shrimp
- Sriracha Lime Chicken
- Half Sandwich & Soup
- Southern Fried Chicken Salad
- Country Fried Steak
- Pulled Pork Plate
- Catfish Lunch
Here’s an option you may not have expected (or even heard of), but Johnson’s Giant Food Store located in Jacksonville, AL offers really tasty daily hot food options, with Meat + 2 Sides specials on Tuesdays and Fridays. Here’s a rundown of typical items they offer.
Mains: Meatloaf, Smoked Pork Chops, Fried Chicken, Chicken Tenders, Jumbo Drumsticks
Sides: Fried Okra, Butter Beans, Creamed Corn, Collard Greens, Mac and Cheese, Potato Salad, Mashed Potatoes, Brown Gravy, Peach Cobbler, Rolls & Cornbread
Special: Meat + 2 Sides
Mains: Chicken Dressing, Smoked Pork Loin, Fried Pork Chops, Fried Chicken, Chicken Tenders, Smoked Leg Quarters
Sides: Fried Okra, Pinto Beans, Squash Casserole, Boiled Cabbage, Carrot Souffle, Onion Rings, Boiled Potatoes, Potato Wedges, Coleslaw, Potato Salad, Apple Cobbler, Rolls & Cornbread
Mains: Hamburger Steak, Smoked Pork Steak, Fried Pork Chops, Fried Chicken, Chicken Tenders, Smoked Chicken Breast
Sides: Mashed Potatoes, Brown Gravy, Fried Squash, Niblet Corn, Broccoli & Cheese, Pinto Beans, Green Beans, Potato Wedges, Coleslaw, Potato Salad, Carrot Souffle, Rolls & Cornbread
Special: Meat + 2 Sides, Catfish Plate + 2 Sides, 2 Pc Catfish Plate + 2 Sides
Mains: Fried Catfish, Country Style Ribs, Fried Chicken, Chicken Tenders, Smoked Jumbo Drumstick, Smoked Country Style Ribs
Sides: Boiled Potatoes, Broccoli & Cheese, Black-Eyed Peas, Baked Beans, Green Beans, Fried Okra, Onion Rings, Potato Wedges, Coleslaw, Potato Salad, Strawberry Cobbler, Rolls & Cornbread, Hushpuppies
Who doesn’t love a delicious Meat + 2 lunch special? You can choose from varied main dishes and sides that range from $10-$12 at the Nest Bar & Grill located at 8896 McClellan Blvd., Anniston, AL. Their Hot Bar is available from 11am-6pm, and typically features meats like fried or baked chicken or country fried steak smothered in gravy. Special meats are listed below.
Mondays: Fried Pork Chops
Thursdays: Turkey Wings
Fridays: Fried Catfish or Whiting // Fried Liver or Gizzard
Sundays:Fried or Baked Chicken // Country Fried Steak
Sides: Macaroni & Cheese, Lima Beans, Green Beans, Cabbage, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Collard Greens, Yams
For years, The Peerless Saloon and Grille has served top-quality specials besides their general menu options. We’ve included their latest offerings, though they can change on a weekly basis. Dine with them at 13 W. 10th St., Anniston, AL.
Current Weekly Specials
Mains: Chipotle Chicken & Rice, Rammer Jammer Burger + Side, 10 Wings + Side, Chicken Ceasar Wrap + Side, BBQ Quesadilla, Buffalo Mac, Grilled Cheese Ceasar, BBQ Sandwich w/Baked Beans + Side
Sides: Mac & Cheese, Pintos, Potato Chips, Hush Puppy, Fried Green Beans, Greens, Black Eyed Peas, Rice, Pasta Salad
If you’re in the mood for a pizza lunch, Cutter’s Pizzaria has two locations: 1781 Hamric Dr. E., Oxford, AL, and 7113 U.S. Hwy 431, Alexandria, AL. They offer the following pizza specials which you can get when dining in, or as take-out.
- TWO for $20
- Get two or more 3 topping hand-tossed pizzas for $10 each
- Cracker Crust: $1.50
- Large Gluten Free: $1.50
- THREE For $30
- Get a Large Pasta, Large one topping, and an appetizer for only $30!
- FOUR for $30
- Get TWO large hand tossed up to 3 topping pizzas and any TWO of appetizers, desserts, or House Salad for only $30.
- Pizza and APP: Get a Large up to three topping pizza and an appetizer for only $15.99
- Pie Deal: Get a Large One Topping for only $6.99 when you get the Pie, Deep Dish, or Chicago Style
Thumb Suckers recently opened a dining room location at 1405 E. Hamric Dr., Oxford, AL, and is on the rise in popularity with excellent steaks and Southern cuisine. They first opened serving dinner only, but now they have a lunch menu which is served 11am-7pm Wednesdays-Saturdays and Tuesdays 11-5pm. Their lunch menu is below.
Daily Lunch Menu
- Brisket Sandwich Basket $12
- Boston Butt Sandwich Basket $10
- Smashburgers $12
- Southern Fried or Grilled Chicken Basket $12
- HUGE Salads topped with Chicken, Brisket, or Pork
- Steak and Fries $18
- Meat and Two $12 (Pork Chop, Chicken Fried Chicken, etc.)
- Banana Pudding $3