Calhoun County Courthouse

Calhoun County Architecture

by Stephen Hartsfield

When most people think of art, architecture is usually not the first discipline that comes to mind.  It is more common to ponder the works of Picasso or Rembrandt, Michelangelo or Leonardo da Vinci.  The landscapes of Bob Ross or the abstract expressionism of Jackson Pollock are more likely to be discussed than the designs of the buildings that people use on a daily basis.  It is more common to hear a conversation discussing the prolific songwriting of Bob Dylan or John Prine than the Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian column design used in Greco-Roman architecture.  The Dorian based solos and phrasing of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour is a much more likely discussion than the advent of the arch and the cathedrals that were built by utilizing that innovation.

If, however, a discussion of architecture does arise, Calhoun County, Alabama is usually not one of the locations that immediately come to mind.  But since its founding, there have been many structures that have been built that exhibit innovative thinking and construction techniques and have provided the area with some truly exceptional buildings.  In Calhoun County, there are over sixty structures and districts that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church is located at 1000 West 18th Street in Anniston, Alabama.  The architect William Halsey Wood designed the building and ground was broken for the complex on June 11, 1888.  Constructed in the Norman style with locally sourced materials, the church was consecrated on September 29, 1890.  It was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on November 23, 1976 and to the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1978. 

Not to be outdone by their Protestant counterparts, the local Jewish community constructed Temple Beth-El in 1891.  It is a fine example of Romanesque Revival style architecture and is a synagogue located at 301 East 13th Street in Anniston, Alabama.  It was built in 1891 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

But places of worship are not the only structures in the county that are notable.  The Calhoun County Courthouse was designed by Atlanta Architect J. W. Golucke.  The structure was built in 1900 in the Neoclassical style at 25 West 11th street, and was rebuilt after a 1931 fire.  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.  The East Anniston Residential Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1993.  The district contains structures in the Prairie School, Bungalow/Craftsman, and Queen Anne styles and runs along Leighton and Christine Avenues from 11th street to 22nd street and along Woodstock Avenue from 11th Street to Rocky Hollow.

Architecture can easily be overlooked as an art form even though people pass by or enter significant structures every day.  The next time you drive through a Calhoun County town or walk down its streets, take a look around you.  You may see something you have never noticed before.  And it is likely you will be struck by its elegance and beauty.

Calhoun County National Register of Historic Places

Property Name City Address
Greenwood Alexandria Jct. Old Anniston–Gadsden Rd. and Co. Rd. 25
Anniston Cotton Manufacturing Company Anniston 215 W. Eleventh St.
Anniston Electric and Gas Company Plant, Old Anniston 2 W. Third St.
Anniston Inn Kitchen Anniston 130 W. 15th St.
Anniston Transfer Company Anniston 911 Wilmer Ave.
Bagley–Cater Building Anniston 15 E. Tenth St.
Bank of Anniston Anniston 1005 Noble St.
Caldwell Building Anniston 1001 Noble St.
Calhoun County Courthouse Anniston 25 W. Eleventh St.
Crowan Cottage Anniston 1401 Woodstock Ave.
Downtown Anniston Historic District Anniston Roughly bounded by Moore Ave., 14th St., Wilmer Ave. and 9th St.
Downtown Anniston Historic District (Boundary Increase) Anniston Bounded by Wilmer & Walnut Aves., W. 9th & 14th Sts.
East Anniston Residential Historic District Anniston Roughly, along Leighton and Christine Aves. from 11th St. to 22nd Sts. and Woodstock Ave. from 11th St. to Rocky Hollow
Fort McClellan Ammunition Storage Historic District Anniston Pappy Dunn Blvd.
Fort McClellan Industrial Historic District Anniston Jimmy Parks Blvd., Transportation Rd., Idaho Ave.
Fort McClellan Post Headquarters Historic District Anniston Buckner Circle, Headquarters Ave., Drennan Dr.
Fort McClellan World War II Housing Historic District Anniston Breman Rd. Bachelor Dr., Iron Mountain Rd., Micron Wy.
Glen Addie Volunteer Hose Company Fire Hall Anniston Fourth St. and Pine Ave.
Glenwood Terrace Residential Historic District Anniston Roughly bounded by Oak St., Jefferson Ave., lots on S side of Glenwood Terr. & N side of Orchard St., and Highland Ave.
Glover, Henry Burt, House Anniston 1119 Leighton Ave.
Grace Episcopal Church Anniston 1000 Leighton Ave.
Hillside Cemetery Anniston Highland Ave. between Tenth and Eleventh Sts.
Huger, Richard P., House Anniston 1901 Wilmer Ave.
Kilby House Anniston 1301 Woodstock Ave.
Kress Building Anniston 1106 Noble St.
Lyric Theatre Anniston 1302 Noble St.
McKleroy-Wilson-Kirby House Anniston 1604 Quintard Ave.
Montgomery Ward–Alabama Power Company Building Anniston 1201 Noble St.
Mount Zion Baptist Church Anniston 212 Second St.
Noble Cottage Anniston 900 Leighton Ave.
Noble, Samuel, Monument Anniston Eleventh St. and Quintard Ave.
Noble–McCaa–Butler House Anniston 1025 Fairmont Ave.
Nonnenmacher Bakery Anniston 36 W. Eleventh St.
Nonnenmacher House Anniston 1311 Gurnee Ave.
Oak Tree Cottage Anniston 721 Oak St.
Parker Memorial Baptist Church Anniston 1205 Quintard Ave.
Parker-Reynolds House Anniston 330 E. 6th St.
Peerless Saloon Anniston 13 W. Tenth St.
Saint Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church Anniston 1327 Leighton Ave.
Security Bank Building Anniston 1030 Noble St.
Smith, Lansing T., House Anniston 531 Keith Ave.
St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church Anniston W. 18th St.
Temple Beth-El Anniston 301 E. Thirteenth St.
The Pines Anniston SE corner of 5th St. and Lapsley Ave.
Tyler Hill Residential Historic District Anniston Roughly bounded by E. Seventh, Knox and Goodwin and Lapsley Aves., E. Sixth St., and Leighton Ave.
U.S. Post Office Anniston 1129 Noble St.
Union Depot and Freight House Anniston 1300 Walnut Ave.
West Fifteenth Street Historic District Anniston 416–712 W. Fifteenth St.
Wikle Drug Company Anniston 1010 Noble St.
Coldwater Creek Covered Bridge Coldwater Spans Coldwater Creek 0.5 mi. (0.8 km) from I 20
Aderholdt’s Mill Jacksonville Aderholdt’s Mill Rd.
Downtown Jacksonville Historic District Jacksonville Roughly bounded by College, Thomas, Coffee, and Spring Sts.
First Presbyterian Church Jacksonville 200 E. Clinton St.
Francis, Dr. J. C., Office Jacksonville 100 Gayle St.
Henry, Charles B., Barn Jacksonville 0.5 mi. W of AL 21, S of Branscomb Dr. and N of Henry Rd.
Profile Cotton Mills Historic District Jacksonville Alexandria St., A St., H St., and D St.
Ten Oaks Jacksonville 805 Pelham Rd. S
Woods, Alexander, House Jacksonville 517 N. Pelham Rd.
Janney Furnace Ohatchee 1 mi. NW of Ohatchee off AL 62
Cooper, Davis C., House Oxford 301 Main St.
Snow, Dudley, House Oxford 704 Snow St.
Southern Railway Depot Piedmont 200 N. Center Ave.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *